I love vintage crochet patterns and I love browsing through old issues of magazines like The Workbasket. If you want to find an old crochet pattern and you don’t mind having a free copy (rather than the original paper one), there are thousands of patterns available online and in the public domain.
So before you go to Ebay or Etsy to purchase a PDF copy of an old pattern I recommend you go to one of these sites to take a look. My favorite place to look first is the Antique Pattern Library.
Where to Find Free Vintage Crochet Patterns
Antique Pattern Library
You will find old crochet patterns from the early 1840s to the 1950s that are in the public domain, including many issues of the Workbasket. The more recent patterns include booklets, pamphlets and complete books with patterns for pot holders, blankets, doilies, shawls and decorative household crochet. Each of the publications is available to download for free.
Find these free vintage patterns and many (many) more:
- The WorkBasket (October 1935-September 1946)
- Roses in Crochet, Lily Crochet Design Book No. 71. (1950)
- Doilies, Lily Design Book No. 83 (1950s)
- Table Topics, New Ideas in Crochet, The Spool Cotton Company (1938)
- New Book of Pot Holders and Hot Platter Mats, Book No. 274 (1951).
- Priscilla Crochet Work, The Priscilla Publishing Company.
- Crochet for Small Fry Dresses. The Spool Cotton Company, Book No. 211.
- Babies are Such Fun to Dress, Star Baby Book No. 148. American Thread Company.
Free Vintage Crochet
Free vintage crochet includes singular patterns taken from crochet pamphlets and magazines that were originally published from the beginning to mid-20th century. This site also includes extra goodies for the crocheter trying to make an old pattern work with today’s yarn and hook.
Find details like:
- Discontinued Yarn information (so you can find a substitute),
- vintage size charts,
- vintage crochet abbreviations,
- and free vintage eBooks.
This site is the sister site to Purple Kitty which has eBook Bundle Subscriptions and digital eBooks that you can purchase for a fee.
Antique Crochet Patterns
Antique Crochet Patterns includes lots of beautiful patterns. Their collection includes free crochet baby sets (bibs, blankets, bonnets, booties and shoes and toys), children’s patterns (dresses, sweater, jackets, tops, blouses, accessories), and adult patterns.
Here are a few antique crochet pattern examples:
- Barbara Baby Set
- Infant Gift Set
- Puff Stitch Baby Set
- Star Stitch Baby Set
- Adga Baby Set
- Crochet Ear Muffs
- Crochet Carriage Cover
Grandmother’s Pattern Book
Grandmother’s Pattern Book includes some free vintage knitting and crochet patterns.
Here are a few examples:
- Granny Square Millefleurs Skirt
- Mosaic Granny Squares Skirt
- Crochet Baby Saque, Cap and Bootees Set
- Crochet Pebble Pattern set for Baby Girl
- Crochet Baby Pants Set
- Crochet Baby Bonnet
- Crochet Nosegay Bedspread
All Free Crafts
All Free Crafts has included some old crochet patterns in their collection. Some of the patterns include a Bedspread, Hot Water Bottle, San Fernando Tablecloth and crocheted Doilies.
Vintage Patterns Dazes Past
Vintage Patterns Dazes Past has a number of older crochet patterns available. You will find some stand-alone patterns, as well as, some complete booklets available.
Here are a few of the available patterns:
- Dritz Volume 4 (1945) – Crocheted Accessories with the Individual Look
- Lily Design Book No. 73 – Old Favorites in Crocheted Bedspreads
- New Hairpin Lace Ideas in D.M.C. Imported Cottons, Vol. 408.
Red Basket Crafts
Red Basket Crafts has a small collection of free vintage patterns available.
You will find these old crochet patterns:
- Freddy Frog Potholder
- Strawberry Potholder
- Baby Girl’s Dress
- Easy Baby Jacket
- Novice Shawl Pattern
- Baby Bonnet and Booties
- Baby/Toddler Mittens
- Kids’ Cardigan & Top
- Baby Layette, and more.
This site also has some pattern pdfs available for purchase.
All Free Crochet Afghan Patterns
All Free Crochet Afghan Patterns has seven pages of free vintage crochet blanket patterns available.
Wearing History Blog
Wearing History has a few old crochet patterns available for you to browse through, including:
- a crocheted tam from the 1920s,
- Autumn Acorns Border from the 1940s,
- a winter sweater and cap from 1918,
- filet crochet for baby (1920s) and some other free goodies.
Archive.org has hundreds of public domain crochet pattern books available. You can view some, print some, download some and borrow some. All for free.
The publications range in type of crochet and include:
- Priscilla’s Crochet Book, Centrepieces & Doilies,
- Beautiful Crochet on Household Linen by Flora Klickmann,
- Richardson’s Crocheted Edgings & Insertions (Book 3)
- Godey’s Lady’s Book July 1863
- The Ladies Work Table Book, and many others.
Project Gutenberg has hundreds of old crochet pattern books available too.
Some popular old crochet books they have available are:
- Doily Bouquet by American Thread Company,
- Beautiful, Beautiful Afghans by American Thread Company,
- Afghans by the Spool Cotton Co.,
- Crocheted Rugs by American Thread Company,
- New Tablecloths by American Thread Company,
- Beehive for Bairns, Vol. 23.,
- Babies Are Such Fun to Dress and more.
Hathi Trust Digital Library
Hathi Trust Digital Library has many vintage crochetbooks available for free online.
These are just a few of the crochet books they have available:
- Woolco Knitting & Crocheting Manual (1916),
- Mrs. Gaugain’s Crochet D’Oyley Book (No. I-III),
- My Crochet Sampler by Miss Lambert (1847),
- Fleisher’s Knitting & Crocheting Manual: The Fleisher Yarns (1917),
- Mrs. Leach’s Fancy Work Basket (1889),
- The Sunlight Book of Knitting and Crocheting (1915).
You may also enjoy these posts:
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.